Thursday, July 23, 2009

O.P.T. (Other people's travels)

(I want to preface this opinionated piece by saying that I have friends and family in which I love to hear about how they're doing, where they're going, how Paris was, how cute their kids are, etc. So please take this light-heartedly and with a grain of salt)

So now that we have Facebook, Myspace, Twitter, MyTwitFace, and AdultFriendFinder-(DR), etc, we get to witness our past/current acquaintances' travels. I'm on Facebook doing wholesome things, keeping it above-board of course, and "oh great, Rhonda is now in Africa!" Soooo exciting! (thick sarcasm, and I mean Dennison's think). Wasn't she just in Malaysia, and before that Uraguay? Jesus H. Christ...And here we are working since college trying to make ends meet and hopefully have enough cash to go out, and afford Christmas presents for the fam...maybe pay off a car loan. Why do my first thoughts go to negative? First I feel like, La De Fricken Da!! And move onto, man, how nice to be able to travel so freely like that..Then thoughts turn to 1) Who's funding this world tour? and 2) What is she running away from? Seriously. So as thoughts move from jealousy to wonderment, I then realize, maybe they're looking at their past college acquaintance (me), married with two kids, and see the pictures of my wonderful family and how "well" I'm doing and then, while they're sipping a red bull in a 'coffee shop' in Rotterdam , they think 'who cares about your kids, La Dee Fricken Da!' all the while longing to be home.

Its a strange world.

But either way, I've decided I'm going to do what a friend did on Facebook just the other day; he deleted 100 "friends" that were worthless to him, then emailed the rest of his friends congratulating them on making the cut. I was happy to make the team and wrote back to him expressing exactly that. I realized it was my solution to my problem. Why should I befriend people on Facebook if their pictures and status updates only make me angry, jealous, and contemptuous? Most of which I never was quite fond of to begin with...

Time to make some cuts.

2 comments:

mrs. smith said...

(cue midwest housewife accent) i didn't know you had a blaawg!! oh, goody!
i've been on both sides of that fence and i totally know what you mean. i've got this family member who lives in this beautiful, idyllic beach town and every time i get the chance to spend a few days of my year there i think, oh boo. la dee freakin da indeed. ;-)
it's choices... all really awesome choices.

KR said...

Hahaha...